Other people’s opinion of you does not have to become your reality – Les Brown
If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves – Thomas Alva Edison
Please watch the following video of the university in which I had been admitted as a graduate student
One thing that I like from SIUE is the concept of The Power of “e”
In the earlier post, I wrote about the process of being rejected, short-listed, and accepted by universities in the United States. This time, I wrote about the admission of mine to SIUE (Southern Illinois University Edwardsville).
First of all, I would like to say that I was so happy when I received information from AMINEF that I had been admitted as a graduate student in SIUE. In this university, I will study in the Department of English, concentrated on Teaching of Writing that also deals with Rhetoric and Composition. English has become a foreign language that I had studied since I was in elementary school. Therefore, to know the information of admission into SIUE from AMINEF was such a great happiness for me, especially for my parents.
When I told my parents about this acceptance, they felt so blessed in their life. They felt so happy and thrilled. I am a first child in my big family who could study into university degree, especially into graduate school. My family was not rich but they know and understand that education is crucial for them. My parents did not study until university degree; therefore, they always put a great emphasize on me that education is really important. Since I was a kid, I studied hard in order to be admitted and able to study at schools. All my best efforts, I could get scholarships since I was in junior high school up to now.
These are the scholarships that I have received since junior high school:
- SLTP Negeri 7 Padang (State School of Junior High): Scholarships for students in good achievement
- SMU Neger 2 Padang (State School of Senior High): Scholarships for students in good achievement – I have many achievements when I was in SMU Negeri 2 Padang
- Andalas University (State University in Padang, West Sumatra, Indonesia): Scholarships for students in good achievement – I become the Best Student in the University a year before I graduated in 2007. This is for Bachelor’s degree.
- Southern Illinois University Edwardsville: Scholarships for International Students in the form of Tuition and Fee Waiver in accordance with Fulbright scholarship. This is for Master’s degree.
- I don’t know what kind of scholarship that I will get for my Doctoral degree but I hope I could continue it in the United States, United Kingdom, or in Europe.
For SIUE, thank you very much for accepting me as a graduate student in the university. SIUE will always be a part of my life since 2011 and forever. Best always for you!
SIUE is among the top 15 public universities in U.S. News’ Midwest-Master’s category for the third consecutive year and also is in the top one-third of all public and private Midwestern universities. U.S News bases its overall scores on the academic preparedness of students, graduation rates, faculty characteristics and the reputation of SIUE in higher education. (Taken from: About SIUE)
This writing is intended for Indonesian students who might be interested in pursuing higher studies (M.A or Ph.D) in the United States under the Fulbright scholarship. In Indonesia, this scholarship is organized by AMINEF (American Indonesian Exchange Foundation). Once you are admitted in this scholarship program, you will be taken care by IIE (Institute of International Education) in New York. If you are selected, you will have to do two things: First, pursue your study seriously and get good grades at the school in which you are enrolled in; Second, be active to take part in cultural activities on campus or in the United States to promote cultures of your country. This second thing is compulsory; therefore, it is expected that you need to do cross communication with American students to expand mutual understanding of two different countries. This is the main aspect of being a Fulbright scholar.